My "Mulligan" Scarf- How I've Saved Myself from Frustration

So I discovered that for a first attempt, perhaps my scarf isn't as bad as I thought. It may have a few mistakes here and there, with a valuable lesson that knitting is best when we are well rested or have the energy to focus our best but isn't that what this whole experience is about, learning. It's not about the scarf coming out perfectly, yes it would be nice but since there's much to learn this time around it's become more about practicing the technique of knitting and simply seeing this one through. Which is why I've called the first knitting project- a hefty two ball scarf- my "mulligan scarf". When I take on other projects I'll have it down pat and be more careful. For now I am learning: learning how to fix my "boo boos" as I refer to any mistakes made, when it's best to knit- during the early parts of my day- and when it's not such an opportune time- later at night. Which is equally important to curbing any possible mistakes and frustrations (I still want my scarf to be at least somewhat wearable and look good) down.

The trick has been realizing that it's more important to learn from mistakes rather than to worry about them, do the knitting when I feel like it and am inspired to get some done- not just for the purposes of getting through it as fast as I can but actually enjoying the process without stressing about the end result. Enjoy the journey as some may say.  So I may have begun the month like the previous one too focused on the result but since it's unrealistic to finish by the end of February, and takes the pleasure out of knitting I'm going to enjoy every stitch and not fret over ones that may be dropped. It took some time, but finally I am happily finding out what works best for me, in this endeavour and that is focusing on positive progress and being proud of my project. With that I'm really starting to like it flaws and all. It's how I know it's made by me, an authentic Kylie creation. When you buy scarfs in the store they come perfectly done with every stitch in place, for me the only way to tell that a handmade scarf (other than someone pointing out they did it) is handmade is by it's flaws. So why not embrace that, have fun and carry on with the knitting experience where my new goal becomes completing it and enjoying the process.

For now the Nifty Knitter
Kylie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting with Cotton Yarn

A Magazine Review of Knitting for Beginners

March's Plan for Learning Pastels